Even more Stembridge Gun Rentals History!

A gentleman by the name of Jim Ferguson wrote me last year:

“I was cleaning out a home today and found a box of letters and photos dated in the 1940’s. They were letters to a Frederick T. Dickie at Stembridge gun rentals at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. The photos were of lots of neat guns and of some people whom I asume are related to the gun shop. I guess I’m wondering if anyone isĀ interestedĀ in seeing this stuff.”

I wrote back of course, and said yes! Here’s what Jim found!

[nggallery id=1]

This entry was posted in Genealogy. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Even more Stembridge Gun Rentals History!

1. Judy Bankson says:

Do you have any records or pictures of the guns used for Gunsmoke,Bonanza or Have gun will travel. My Grandfather blued guns for the stembridge for years. I would guess the 50’s through the early 70’s. He was Al Andrews owner of Andy’s Gun Refinishing. He worked with Bob Lane from Paramount. I would love any copies of photos or records. Any information you could share about his work with your family would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cory Zamora says:

hello Judy, I am wondering if my father worked with your gradfather

3. Darin Slocum says:

Wow,I found a picture of my uncle, Gordon Worthington, in your collection. Thank you so much. Her worked there for many years and loved the owrk and the friendships! He actually took me on a tour of the gun shop when I was 10 (almost 40 years ago!) and it was a highlight of my childhood.

4. Very cool! Thanks for letting us know.

5. Dale Werner says:

Sometime in the mid 60’s, one of the major gun magazines ran a long article about the Stembridge Hollywood rentals. As a (about) 12 year old, I wore that magazine ragged and dog eared. I sure wish that I could remember which publication it was and try to find a copy. I’ve never forgotten the fascination it instilled.

6. Thanks for the note Dale, I may have seen a copy if that article at some point. I have a copy, well the pertinent pages of a 1969 True magazine… sound familiar? I’ll load and add a link!

Here ya go: http://stembridge.us/pdf/true-magazine-stembridge-article.pdf

7. Dale Werner says:

Very generous of you and I’d be interested in it. The one I recall was in one of the gun enthusiast magazines. It could have been “GUNS”, “Shooting Times” or maybe another one.
    I fell in love with the shooting sports at a very early age and am still at it as I push 60 years old. This afternoon, I watched “The Train Robbers” with John Wayne again. I never get tired of the Westerns. I drive my wife nuts, as I notice historical errors in any movie with firearms………Thank You!

8. Click on the above link, it’ll download the article! I have a few more as well, will try to make a new update with some of those articles!

Thanks for your input!

9. Dale Werner says:

Thank you, David. What a blast from the past! It’s an honor to speak with you.

10. Ernie Moosios says:

I remember an article about Stembridge gun Rentals and the 7000 plus guns and I believe it was in Natioal Rifle Magazine. 70’s maybe? Same thing , I think I wore the magazine out just reading it over and over.